Interactive Whiteboard Activities
Utilizing interactive whiteboard activities and incorporating
interactive whiteboards into your routine may push you out of your
zone (or your rut as you might start realizing), but we
encourage you to lose sight of the shore so that you can discover new
As with any technology, the whiteboard is not a magic bullet. The
teacher who implements interactive whiteboard technology effectively is the one
that will see gains in student engagement and learning.
However, if not
implemented correctly, interactive whiteboards can easily become no
more than expensive dry erase boards.
Whether you've recently
joined the ranks of new interactive whiteboard users or if your
interactive whiteboard is gathering dust on the wall, we hope that you
will find the ideas below useful
for broadening your technology repertoire and become a master at engaging students with your interactive whiteboard.
Teaching With An Interactive Whiteboard
- Let students take their own lunch count.
- Easily divide into groups
- Provide makeup-work or missed materials with recorded lessons and/or notes
- Use your interactive whiteboard for bell work
- Make a visible timer for classwork or group time
Creating Interactive Whiteboard Lessons
Your Interactive Whiteboard with Other Technologies
- Use your IWB with your classroom clickers
- Use your IWB with your document camera
- Use your IWB with your smartpen
Varying the Classroom Routine
Finding Interactive Whiteboard Activities
The best activities are those
that don't tie you
to a certain brand of whiteboard, and we've included some of our
favorites here. It would be near impossible for this to be an
all-inclusive list, but we've tried to provide some productive links to
get you started on your hunt for the best interactive whiteboard
activities to include in your own lessons.
Use your imagination when considering interactive whiteboard activities
and how they can apply to your lesson...focus learners, introduce a
topic, take a brain
break, test knowledge, or provide learners with current information on
an old topic!
Mimio's online community, MimioConnect, is an invaluable resource if you are implementing MimioStudio software.
community full of avid Mimio educators is a great starting point to
download some already-created lessons by those with maybe a little more
experience than yourself. It's fun just to browse the lessons and see
what sort of activities other teachers have created. In addition, you'll
find questions answered by Mimio Masters and lots of free downloadable
to add to your Mimio Gallery for free! When you get up to speed on
creating lessons, pay it forward and share your own with the rest of the
world on MimioConnect.
Starting Points for Interactive Whiteboard Resources
- PBS Learning Media - search by grade level
- Crickweb - educational interactive resources for ages 4-11
- EdHelper.com - Just pull these up on your board and write away!
- ExploreLearning - subscription site for fantastic math & science simulations
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives - fantastic math manipulatives
- Starfall - great activities for lower elementary
- 56 Interesting Ways to Use Your Interactive Whiteboard