The Livescribe smartpen has redefined the age-old tool of pen and paper in 21st century education. This 21st-century version of pen and paper (“smart” because it is actually a computer in a pen) combines all four modes of communication - reading, writing, speaking, and listening - in a simple, low cost, and convenient format of pen and paper.
While taking notes during a lecture or discussion, the smartpen records the conversation and digitizes the handwriting, automatically syncing the ink and audio.
By later tapping the ink, the smartpen replays the conversation from the exact moment the note was written.
Notes and audio can then be uploaded to a PC, where they can be replayed, saved, searched, and shared - perfect for allowing home-bound students or students who were absent from class to hear AND see the lecture or assignment explanation.In addition, creating content by printing on Livescribe paper, cutting the paper apart to make anything interactive, or using re-recordable sound stickers allows users to unleash their creativity and make anything from paper to walls interactive!
This new genre of technology has something for everyone:
- The 1st grade student using the Livescribe pen at literary centers.
- The district administrator using the pen to record audio and notes at meetings, classroom walkthroughs, and teacher observations.
- The teacher making daily instruction accessible to students and parents anytime, anywhere.
- The high school student revisiting daily instruction as many times as needed to build comprehension.
- The middle school parent accessing teacher notes and lectures to assist their student with homework.
In fact, an ongoing list of educational uses of smartpens just seems to keep growing!
Many will see the benefits of quickly capturing, sharing, archiving, and searching both notes and audio from meetings, conferences, etc. However, the educator will quickly begin to conjure up images of his/her own students that would benefit from this technology.
Could you or your students benefit from...
- Anytime access to pencasts of daily instruction or homework helpers?
- A teacher clone using recorded messages or instruction on the Livescribe pen?
- Differentiation in the learning process for students with different learning styles and needs?
- A solution for students who struggle with taking notes?
- Recorded audio for self assessment or organization?
The Livescribe smartpen provides a fantastic opportunity for every student to never miss a word again and is becoming an essential piece of assistive technology in the classroom for many students. It is opening doors everyday to new possibilities for administrators and educators in the workplace, students who are struggling to keep up, homebound students, special education students and resource paraprofessionals, and ESL learners and educators.
Want to make a "smart" impact in your classroom for under $300?
Contact us to discuss the best option for your classroom!